Photobucket

Monday, September 13, 2010

Probably not the best choice for an icon...

Photobucket


I've always found it baffling just how the cross became the symbol for me. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive about it, having been nailed to one and all; but that particular shape represents arguably one of the worst days I ever had.

Photobucket

In a way I can see the rationale behind its' proliferation; it's simple, it represents my sacrifice, and anyone can draw it - so yes, it's a bold, recognizable symbol of Brand Jesus; but it was also, you know, the instrument of a remarkably unpleasant execution.

Photobucket


What if I had been hanged? How would a representative gesture of that have been worked into the genuflexion? What if I had been stoned to death? Would you have had to mime dodging rocks as you recited the Lord's Prayer?

Photobucket

What if I had died in my sleep, been trampled by horses or succumbed to an advanced staph infection? Where would any of you be then? Come to think of it, it's awfully convenient that I died on such a handy shape, isn't it?

You're welcome.

J.C.

3 comments:

  1. Not to correct you, My Lord and Savior, but it's actually "staph" infection. Unless by "staff infection" you meant something else unpleasant that I'm not sure I want to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always used to ask people what kind of religion would use an instrument of torture as their symbol. Pretty hideous torture at that, makes The Rack and waterboarding seem tame.

    Or is waterboarding what those kids do now at the beach?

    ReplyDelete